This recipe needs to have at least 8 hours of rest time before cooking so making it last minute is not an option. Talk about well worth it. Houseguests and family will be amazed at how wonderful this tastes, and we wish to thank All Recipes for the inspiration.
Our deviled egg seasonings help make this easier and a little less caloric. See the substitute below the recipe.
(Needs to rest for 8 hours before cooking)
cooking spray (such as Pam®)
**2 cups diced cooked ham
2 tablespoons butter, or as needed
7 slices bread, crusts removed
½ pound Cheddar cheese, cubed
3 cups milk
6 eggs, beaten
**¾ teaspoon dry mustard
**¾ teaspoon salt
1. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Spread ham into the bottom of prepared casserole dish. Butter one side of each bread slice; cut slices into cubes. Arrange buttered bread cubes atop ham; layer American cheese over bread cubes.
3. Whisk milk, eggs, mustard powder, and salt together in a bowl; pour over American cheese layer. Cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove aluminum foil from casserole.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and eggs are set in the middle, about 1 hour.
**Skip the ham, but not the flavor. Substitute 1 tablespoon of Smoky Ham Deviled Egg Seasonings for the ham, dried mustard and salt.